Architect and Creator of the Regimental Memorial at Queen’s Park (1923)
Commanding Officer 1st Battalion 48th Highlanders (CASF) (1939-1940)
Commander 9 Canadian Infantry Brigade (1940-1941)
Commander Canadian Reinforcement Centre Avelino Italy (1943-1944)
Honorary Colonel 48th Highlanders of Canada (1963-66)
Eric Wilson Haldenby CBE MC VD BSc was born at Toronto Ontario (ON), son of Charles Norman Haldenby and Eva (Trotter) Haldenby both of Toronto. In 1915 Haldenby joined the 48th Highlanders with the rank of Lieutenant and went overseas in the spring of 1916 and was posted to the 15th Battalion. In June 1916 Haldenby was promoted to captain and was appointed Adjutant in 1917. He fought at the Battle of the Somme and was awarded the Military Cross (MC) in April 1917 for conspicuous gallantry in action against the enemy during the Battle of Vimy Ridge. In September 1939 when the 1st Battalion, 48th Highlanders (CASF) was mobilized, LCol Eric Haldenby was selected as the first Commanding Officer and took the Battalion through the mobilization process at the CNE Horse Palace and then to the UK. In August 1940 he was promoted to Brigadier and appointed to command 9th Canadian Infantry Brigade. From August 1943 to September 1944 Haldenby served in the Italian Campaign where he commanded the training camp for newly arrived soldiers, insisting that they be trained to combat standards. He returned to England in command of the Canadian Infantry Training Brigade. At the end of the War he was tasked to plan and organize the headquarters of the brigades that would be created for the Occupation of Germany.
In civilian life Eric Haldenby was one of Canada’s leading architects. After he returned to Canada in 1919 he studied Architecture at the University of Toronto ON, and graduated with a BSc degree. He formed the firm Mathers and Haldenby in 1921. He designed Toronto landmarks including the Bank of Nova Scotia building at King and Bay Streets, the United States Consulate on University Avenue, the David Dunlap Observatory, and many buildings on the University of Toronto grounds – most notably the Regimental Memorial of the 48th Highlanders of Canada that sits at the head of Queen’s Park. He was chair of the Regiment’s Diamond Jubilee (1951) and served as Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel (1952-62) and Honorary Colonel (1963-66).