Opening of the Museum

The Colonel-in-Chief at the opening of the Museum, 29 June 1997. The ORIGINAL wooden cross erected at Vimy Ridge on 10 April 1917 is in the background.

About us

The 48th Highlanders Museum is a non-profit organization operated by a volunteer committee that maintains a portion of the Regiment’s Collection of historic artefacts on behalf of the 48th Highlanders Trust.

The Museum was formed in 1959 at the Old Comrades Association then at 519 Church Street. The museum moved to its present location (St. Andrew’s Church) and was officially opened by HM Queen Elizabeth II on the 29, June 1997. The 48th Highlanders Museum is staffed by volunteers (most are former members of the Regiment) who serve in a variety of roles under the direction of the Museum Committee.

Our mission

The Museum exists: to collect, preserve, and present the history, tradition and heritage of the 48th Highlanders of Canada; to exhibit the physical legacy of the Regiment and interpret its experience in war and peace and, to illustrate and commemorate the contributions that the 48th have made within the community of Toronto and the nation of Canada.

The history of the 48th Highlanders is presented for the benefit of former and present members of the Regiment and their relatives plus the general public. Further the museum exists to develop programs that broaden, and deepen the appreciation and understanding of the 48th Highlanders, stimulate interest in and maintain the relevance of the Regiment’s past for future generations.

Objectives

  • To create and maintain an exhibit that encompasses and highlights the heritage of the 48th Highlanders. The core theme of the exhibit is to illustrate the history of the Regiment through uniforms and accoutrement of its members.
  • To provide a research facility to further communicate the history of the Regiment
  • To support outside projects that further the mission of the museum.
  • To provide former members or their family with data regarding their service in the Regiment.
© 48th Highlanders Trust