A 2.5 inch (6.35 cm) long key with a 2 inch (5.08 cm) by 4 inch (10.16 cm) brown paper tag from the 48th Highlanders Rifle Committee. This particular key was donated by Lt. Col WWG Darling DSO ED. Written on the card “Long Branch Bungalow / Locker Master”.
The 48th Highlanders began to shoot at Long Branch Ranges in 1893. Travel to the ranges was by train, and Saturday was the only day available for practice. As many of the men worked at least half a day on Saturday and as they were required to pay their own train fare, attendance was fifty or fewer at the beginning. In 1896 the train fare was lowered for militia troops and two years later the use of the rifle gallery (indoor ranges) in the new University Avenue Armouries became a routine.