Frank Dowe grew up at Pape and Danforth and learned to play the bugle and side drum as a member of the Boys Brigade. He and his school friend Bill Elms joined the 48th Bugle Band on “Boy Service” in 1935, and on mobilization were among those who transferred into the 1st Battalion 48th Highlanders (CASF) Pipes and Drums. He left the CNE Horse Palace in Dec-39 and sailed onboard the Reina del Pacifico to the UK. While in the UK As a drummer/bugler he was trained as a driver and later as a storeman clerk which led him to temporary attachment outside the unit. In the UK he was sent for officer training and commissioned into The Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps (RCOC). He remained in the Regular Army at the end of the War and served in variety of appointments including as Quartermaster 2nd Battalion Canadian Guards. In 1968 he retired and moved to London Ontario.