James S. P. Armstrong (born Dec. 28, 1899– died Dec. 3, 1971) joined the 48th Highlanders in the mid 1920s, and as Lieutenant was appointed Assistant Adjutant in 1929. On 23 May 1939 which was King’s Plate Day at Woodbine Park he carried the King’s Colour, dipping it as the Royal Party moved down University Avenue before their Majesties, and the battalion departed for Woodbine Park. On 5 August, 1939, before Canada declared war on 1 September, Armstrong along with the majority of the home battalion enlisted with the 1st Battalion, 48th Highlanders, for overseas duty in and was appointed Captain and Company Commander of Headquarters Company. The battalion sailed to England in December 1939 then by train to Aldershot for training. In October 1942 Captain Armstrong was appointed Officer Commanding the newly formed Support Company comprised of Pioneers, Anti-tank, 3″ mortars and carriers. When the battalion prepared to sail for the landings in Sicily in June 1943, Armstrong, then a Major, was posted away from the battalion for Training with A.M.G.O.T.
Major Armstrong was demobilized 1944 at request of Premier George Drew to reopen Ontario House in London, UK, as Agent General for Ontario (1944-1967).