While the 48th Pipes & Drums used rod tension drums from the mid 1950s on for competition work it wasn’t until the late 1960s that this model of side drum replaced ropes with rod tension devices on parade and other occasions.
Several sets of “rods” have seen service with the band over since the 50s. These rod drums were streamlined in appearance when compared with rope drums. The “rods” made execution of beatings much easier for drummers and the maintenance is minimal. The heraldic work done by hand on previous sets of drums since 1929 was now replaced by a “decal” which could be adhered to the drum shell in a matter of minutes. The drum is marked: #10