Base Drum with Royal Coat of Arms; 48th Crest and WWI Battle honours and South Africa 1899-1900.
During the 48th Highlanders brief foray into France in June 1940 the Pipes and Drums had to abandon their drums before being evacuated back to England. Later that year in September Mr. Ernest F. Cooper Esq. of the Gillette Razor Company of Great Britain presented the band with a new set of eight side drums, two tenor drums and the base drum shown here. The set was manufactured by Henry Potter & Co.
The set of drums served the 48th Highlanders all through Sicily, Italy, Northwest Europe and its return to Canada in 1945. The set continued to serve the home unit into the 1960s.