A 19.5 inch (49.53 cm) by 3 inch (7.62 cm) by 3 inch (7.62 cm) quarter scale model of the Martini Henry Rifle, quite often used at the birth of the 48th Highlanders in 1891. During the development of the Martini Henry IC1 carbine, the Royal Small Arms Factory decided to utilize the same component […]
A 8.5 inch (21.59 cm) diameter by 5.5 inch (13.97 cm) high sterling silver bowl trophy dated 1897 awarded to Pte O. Stewart for most successful bayonet fighter. The Royal Tournament was the world’s largest military tattoo and pageant, held by the British Armed Forces annually between 1880 and 1999. The venue was originally the […]
A 5 inch by 7 inch black and white photograph of James Florence original enlistee 36 on 22 Oct 1891.
A 4.25 inch by 6 inch photograph of Musketry Instructor Jos A. Templeman taken on 24 Oct 1894. Sgt. Templeman was the 99th person to be sworn in to the 48th Highlanders on 1st October 1891.
A 6 inch by 8 inch photograph of Duncan Alexander McDonald in scarlet uniform. McDonald joined the 48th in 1892 and was the 243rd enlistee on 24 March 1892. Prior Military Experience 1884 Nile Expedition with Canadian Nile Contingent as one of 400 Canadian volunteers, skilled in river navigation Egypt Medal Khedive Star 1885 Northwest […]
A 5.5 inch by 8 inch piece of paper mounted in a wooden frame stating that a meeting will take place at St. Andrew’s Hall 1st October 1891 where in Capt. McDougall will be placed as Adjutant.
A 8 inch by 13 inch paper framed in black wood with a 3.25 inch by 2 inch red box making a official public announcement that the government has authorized the formation of the 48th Highlanders in section 4 (red box) to increase of establishment of active militia. It is interesting to note that, at […]
A 5.5 inch by 8 inch piece of paper mounted in a wooden frame stating that the Government recognizes the kilted regiment and is making the appropriations required for the regiment to be formed.
A 5.5 inch by 8 inch piece of paper mounted in a wooden frame stating that the regiment be formally recognized, a financial fund be set up and the deputization of John I. Davidson as Colonel of the regiment.
A 4 inch by 6 inch piece of paper mounted in a wooden frame stating that the receiver of this was invited to view to officers drill practice on 2nd September 1891 from seven until nine p.m. at St. Lawrence Hall on King Street East.