“The Highlander Window” – Stained Glass in St Andrew’s Church

“The Highlanders’ Window”, a stained-glass window designed by Peter Haworth and dedicated on Sunday, 7 November 1937. Mrs. Thomas J. Clark donated the window out of her admiration for the regiment. Sergeant George Elms posed for the artist, little knowing that his son and grandson would also serve in the 48th. As described in 1950 […]

Communion Table in St Andrew’s Church donated by Sergeants

In the centre of the chancel is the Memorial Communion Table dedicated on Remembrance Day, Sunday 11 November 1934 by The Rev. Stuart C. Parker, D.D., Minister of St. Andrew’s and Chaplain of the Regiment.  The table, a gift of the sergeants in memory of their comrades who fell in the First World War, stands […]

Oil Portrait of Hon. Major the Reverend Thomas Crawford Brown

Hon. Major the Reverend Crawford Brown, MA was the minister of St Andrew’s Church from June 1905 to October 1915. He was appointed Chaplain of the 48th Highlanders of Canada in 1907 and served until his death in 1929. The portrait was painted by John Russell in 1918 and was a donation to the 48th […]

Memorial Plaque to Pte John Smith Berry

Brass plaque placed on the wall of St Andrew’s Church in memory of Pte John  Smith Berry killed in action on Oct 10, 1944. The plaque was donated by Brigadier Ian Johnston in the mid 1960s. This plaque communicates, perhaps better than any other, the bonds between those who served together. It states simply: “To […]